Sunday, March 9, 2008

The long and short of it.

Every Delhite seems to know Delhi. In my experience, I have hardly ever gone wrong with directions from people on the road in Delhi, unless they happen to be from the driver of the autorickshaw you are in, trying to sell you Dilli Darshan without your knowledge or consent.

Hyderabad is different. If you happen to ask for directions from a clueless guy (probably new to Hyderabad and from a way off village in Warangal), I hope and pray that God save you! The 'Clueless Guy' may point in the general direction of the traffic. It might be greater than great possibility that you have been guided in the exact opposite direction of your destination. Having gone through the ordeal of being misguided more than thrice, I wonder about why the situation is so.
Somehow, people do not say " Sorry! I do not know the way." Also, most merchant establishments are newer than in other cities and the number of immigrants is certainly very high. I do wonder, as I write this post, if the issue of being misguided on the roads of Hyderabad is worth analysis or any pondering.


All said and done, I will offer to you the best solution that I use before I head for a place I am new to!
Get the directions from the Internet before you leave. If you have internet on the go, you can check sites like http://www.justdial.com/ or http://www.tolmolbol.com/ or http://www.fullhyd.com/ for the addresses of merchant establishments. Some of portals even sms addresses and phone numbers to your mobile for free. If everything else fails, you can call Just Dial at 040-24444444.-The number that saves us all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Malavika

I am BILIGIRI RANGA, from Hyderabad, INDIA, writing an article on ‘FOOTPATH MENACE’ in city for a Hyderabad based magazine PRISM, a 10+ year old mag.

I sae your views in this blog and keen to seek your views for my article

pls get in touch with me at

brnugget_6@yahoo.com

waiting for your e mail at earliest. Pls dont disappoint me

Regards
BILIGIRI RANGA